Waterhouse Range Vineyard
Waterhouse Range Vineyard is situated on 57 Ha ( 141 acres ) in the heart of the Robe Wine Region, some 15km south-east of Robe. Robe is located 340km south east of Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia.
- Area: 57 Ha ( 141 acres )
- Soil type: terra rossa loam over limestone - favourable for producing rich, full-bodied fruit.
- Climate: average annual rainfall - 66 mm
- Temperature range - summer: 25°C - 35°C; winter: 10°C - 15°C
- Sunlight - summer: 14 hours; winter: 11 hours
This is a part of the overall Limestone Coast Zone which includes other regions such as Coonawarra, Padthaway, Wrattonbully and Mt Benson.
The vineyard was conceived by Robe personalities, brothers Bill & Mick Quinlan-Watson, following encouragement from Southcorp Wines. They approached a group of investors and Waterhouse Range was born!
A nursery for young vines was established and land preparation commenced in 1995 with 15 Ha ( 37 acres ) of grapes planted that year. Further planting over the next few years has resulted in:
- Cabernet Sauvignon - 11.6 Ha ( 29.7 acres )
- Shiraz - 14.9 Ha ( 36.4 acres )
- Merlot - 6.7 Ha ( 16.3 acres )
- Pinot Noir - 2.12 Ha ( 4.9 acres )
- Chardonnay - 5 Ha (12.4 acres)
Waterhouse Range Vineyard is geographically located on the east facing side of Woakwine Range, which runs throughout the hundred acres of Waterhouse survey line.
The natural underground water is abundant and the vineyard is irrigated by an under-vine drip system, computer-controlled to ensure vines receive the appropriate amount of water and fertiliser. Careful management practices ensure the correct balance between foliage and sunlight hours, tending to stress the vines for more intense fruit flavours.
The vineyard was conceived, planned, planted and operated to produce premium quality grapes to make the best wines.
Commercial harvesting commenced in 1998 and the quality was excellent, although the yield was low. We have worked in partnership with both our own wine makers and our buyers to slowly increase the yield whilst maintaining our premium quality, with all parties consistantly reporting first class results.